Reply to post:

Yorkshire cops have begun using on-the-spot fingerprint scanners

d3vy

"300m to "merge" two databases. In ideal condions I assume this could be dome in 5 minutes with a couple of lines of SQL. "Insert into" or some such. (two much simpler smaller example DBs obviously)"

Says someone who has obviously never been involved in even a moderately large data migration project.

Your solution will work BUT :

You have three John smiths in the database are they the same person? are they different?

You also have two Steve Mcfaddens they have different national insurance numbers but every other detail is identical - they are obviously the same person - which is correct.

Which database is your master? Can you even identify the master on a DB level or is it conditional on some data in one of the databases? if so what data?

You don't seem to have put ant thought into data integrity so I doubt that you have allocated any time for testing that the apps and reports built on top of the original data still work?

And your comments about a normal PC being able to hold the database are just laughable, I assume youre either trolling or its your first day working on the helpdesk at some big IT company and you think that you know better than everyone else?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon