Reply to post: Re: Dial a Disc

Home taping revisited: A mic in each hand, pointing at speakers

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Dial a Disc

I did have a set of Johnny Morris reading Thomas the Tank Engine on vinyl in the early 70s.

The best versions ever. I had a set of four LPs, four stories per side therefore two books per LP. My mother left three of them at the nursery school she used to run - probably thought I wouldn't want them now that I was all growed up.

Turns out my firstborn was also a huge Thomas fan, so eBay to the rescue.

I was tempted - though never got around - to edit the first few animated TV stories to replace Ringo Starr with the Johnny Morris narration...

There's an Awdry "museum" at the Talyllyn Railway - claimed to be the first preserved railway in the world, where Awdry himself volunteered for many years and which was the inspiration for the stories involving Skarloey and Rheneas and their friends.

I mention this because among the artefacts on display are some LPs and some singles, which I didn't know existed, some of them read by Willie Rushton I think (it's been a while).

Well worth a visit, though I recognise it's a very long way from pretty much any major population centre!

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon