Reply to post: Fuck off Google

From July, Chrome will name and shame insecure HTTP websites

heyrick Silver badge
Mushroom

Fuck off Google

A simple encryption certificate provides nothing that resembles "security". Fine, somebody can't snoop on your connection to my site, but what proves my site is legit, isn't harmful, isn't illegal? Oh, yeah, that's right - NOTHING.

Furthermore, the increasing prevalence of public WiFi access points that intentionally block HTTPS until you accept their certificate (for anti piracy, no doubt), leaving the user with two choices: don't use any HTTPS sites while connected to that AP, or piss away any pretence of security.

Furthermore2 (the sequel), my site is pretty much static pages assembled with some php and a comment form that has no requirement for the user to leave anything that resembles a real name. There's nothing whatsoever that demands secrecy, security, or any of this hoo-hah. If Google wishes to flag it as insecure, maybe they could begin by defining clearly what the benefit of the padlock is - because for the huge majority of sites, it seems to me that the padlock just means "your connection to this site is scrambled", nothing more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon