Reply to post:

Long haul flights on a one-aisle plane? Airbus thinks you’re up for it

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Well other than the obvious fact that driving is only feasible for places that are reasonably close, it's generally a trade-off. My father-in-law lives in Western France. I can take a plane from Gatwick which is a short flight and the whole journey, including getting to the airport, queueing, checking in and the rest of it, takes about 4 hours. Driving involves getting to either Dover or Portsmouth, A channel crossing, then a long drive. I live in West London for context.

For a weekend, it's a no-brainer: take the plane. I can take a half day on Friday and be there for dinner in the evening. Coming home involves going to the airport late afternoon after a big lunch. Driving means two whole days of travel.

I always try to convince the wife that we should drive, because unlike the South of England, driving in Northern France is actually quite pleasant. But aside from the time it takes, it costs 3-4 times as much once you add together ferries/tunnel, fuel, tolls and inevitably expensive and less than pleasant roadside food.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon