Reply to post: Re: And it doesn't sound like the actual residents of the town were responsible

A tiny Ohio village turned itself into a $3m speed-cam trap. Now it has to pay back the fines

Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: And it doesn't sound like the actual residents of the town were responsible

When UK speed cops (other countries possibly too) spot a driver going a tad over the speed limit they have the discretion to warn them and send them on their way. A camera might be placed to deter speeding in a high risk or speeding prone area, but they capture everyone. Treating the habitual speeder doing high speeds in busy times and the ordinary individual drifting over the limit a bit when it's quiet ( late at night?) exactly the same. And some of these cameras are placed to catch the unwary, but let the locals zoom along, slowing for the camera.

I got caught in one of the latter. Yet near my home cars zoom along the local dual carriageway well over the limit, consistently, hour after hour. There's an average speed check. 50 MPH. I've never yet heard of anyone being fined. I've tried to get the information from the authorities and they don't claim to be fining many people. This makes me very resentful. If there is no justice in how the system works it loses its credibility.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon