Reply to post: Re: L-shape

‘I crashed a rack full of servers with my butt’

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: L-shape

As the rather clumsy protagonist responsible for this submission, I will call your BS claim as the story is indeed true and happened to me roughly 5 years ago. Perhaps a bit more detail would help you visualise things as there is the odd minor inaccuracy in the story as it happens:

The server room in question was a small, square room. As you enter, the main server rack is directly facing you (with a rackmount-capable UPS sitting next to it at the left of the rack). Turn 90 degrees to the left from the door and you have two more racks. The rack in the corner of the L shape was the comms rack and was facing directly towards the UPS and the side of the main server rack. Hence when patching phones in the comms rack, the UPS and main server rack were actually directly behind me (not next to me). Crappy diagram time:

< /\

<

Hence, crouch down in-front of the comms rack, arse protrudes out and neatly catches one of the trip switches at the top-rear of the UPS behind me. The cabling issue then came when I poked my head around the back of the rack to check the power cables running to our Oracle server and the movement of the cables dislodged the poorly-seated feed into one of the distribution units in the rack.

Not my cleverest moment, even if sensible cabling would have prevented an outage...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon