Reply to post: Re: Override Idiotic Wetware Drivers Option Please

Disengage, disengage! Cali DMV reports show how often human drivers override robot cars

LucreLout

Re: Override Idiotic Wetware Drivers Option Please

At a very minimum, automatic speed limiters would improve compliance and reduce driver stress

Personally, I don't want higher limits in town; For most urban streets 30 is fine, however, they'd be inevitable with enforced speed limiters. The only reason the roads move as well as they do is that most people ignore most limits most of the time. Before jumping to dispute this, try driving on any national speed limit dual carriageway at any time of day and stick rigidly to the limit. You'll notice you're constantly being overtaken by all manner of road users.

You'd also have to automate "overtake mode" to eliminate the all too frequent situation where a vehicle restricted to a lower speed limit is dragging along 30+ cars in its wake because those at the front lack the skills to overtake safely or the knowledge to pull back and increase stopping distances such that the rolling road block may be passed in sections rather than one hit. I imagine that will scare the hell out of the first few passengers to experience it, especially when conditions change and the car has to retreat back into the stack after beginning an overtake. For this reason I imagine most bikers would resist having a limiter too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon