Reply to post: Re: If women are REALLY "equal"...

1 in 5 STEM bros whinge they can't catch a break in tech world they run

Bernard M. Orwell

Re: If women are REALLY "equal"...

" believes because women aren't in general as strong as men they are somehow an inferior version,"

If this is not the case, why are professional sports almost completely gender segregated? Surely we should be demanding that the IOC immediately adopt all sporting events as mixed gender? Why can't we have football matches with male vs female teams? Why can't a football team be made up of mixed genders?

Why is it considered to be "unfair" to have women compete against men in physical sports?

Please note, I don't think the analogy of physical competition can be extended to non-physical activity. A quick browse for winners names from quiz shows, cooking contests and so forth shows a relatively even balance of genders. There are a couple of interesting outliers: More women have won Masterchef than men by a fair margin, but there are far more male winners of Mastermind. I doubt that means anything significant, but it struck me as interesting.

It's weird how we allow gender segregation in sports but not elsewhere. Imagine if a TV station announced a quiz show that only men could be on, or a cookery contest only for women.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon