Reply to post: Re: Do we really need much more pixels?

Amount of pixels needed to make VR less crap may set your PC on fire

onefang

Re: Do we really need much more pixels?

There's screen door, resolution, and "mura". Current generation consumer headsets don't have enough resolution to be monitor replacements, especially not for crazy small font users like myself. Makes it hard to be a VR developer, I have to rip the headset off to read and write source code, then put it back on again to see the results. Fuzzy pixels might help with screen door, but the resolution is still low. "Mura" is caused by inconstant brightness levels of individual pixels, so that there is what looks like a cloudy texture that is fixed in your view, like wearing dirty glasses. All three get in the way of faking reality, unless you happen to be used to dirty glasses and looking through fly screens.

BTW, a Motorolo Moto Z with a Google Daydream is actually higher resolution than an Oculus Rift CV1. I dunno what the resolution of the above mentioned Pixel in a Daydream is off the top of my head. I only know about the Moto Z coz that's what I use in my Daydream. As mentioned in my previous post, I'm shortsighted, I can see tiny details if I take my glasses off, but I can't see individual pixels on my Moto Z (like I could on my Samsung GS3) unless I put it in the Daydream or Cardboard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon