Reply to post: Re: Saccades

Amount of pixels needed to make VR less crap may set your PC on fire

Mike Moyle

Re: Saccades

"Any "Focus tracking" (if using that approach to try and give acceptable visual image in "focus" area on a system without the pixels / hardware grunt to render all data at high res) will need to handle that as will pixel rendering (with smooth focus change lots of time to prep the hi res pixels at the expected new focus point, with position "jump", need to "instantly" render a new area as the hi res pixel zone."

Heh.

I have a pretty nasty nystagmus. My eyes "jiggle" constantly, to the degree that, if there is an emergency vehicle with lights flashing by the side of the road, from a distance the first flash may be directly on top of the vehicle but the next may appear to be 10 - 15 feet up and to the right, say, depending on the distance away it is. The closer we get, the closer the flashes are to their actual locations. So, we're talking a couple of degrees of twitch happening several times a second. It's fast enough, and I'm sufficiently accustomed to it, that unless something like flashing lights brings it to my attention I never notice it. On the other hand, something directly in front of my eyes trying to keep up with that and constantly shifting focus to whatever it thinks I'm looking at could end up being a strain on both its hardware and my software!

I wonder if I could rent myself out to VR developers as a test subject...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon