Reply to post: Re: Facesaving indeed

Uncle Sam's treatment of Huawei is world-class hypocrisy – consumers will pay the price

spold Silver badge

Re: Facesaving indeed

I would trust that the code is supposed to be clean for devices intended for the US/other markets. However switch/router products for the Chinese market must support Lawful Intercept Gateways (LIG ports) which allow the state to eavesdrop and capture traffic on various criteria (phone no. IMEI etc.). Similarly consumer devices for the Chinese market must support the obligations for telcos, social media co etc. of the 2016 Cybersecurity Law that came in June 1st last year.

Where this can go horribly wrong for them is i) US division marketing a new product says "I need this freakin hot product now I have customers!" which ends up with Chinese spec'd product being diverted to US etc. ii) Products are way cheaper on Huaqiangbei street in Shenzhen, a 3rd party buys up a load, stuffs them in a container to the US and resells them, again Chinese spec product ends up somewhere where it is not intended iii) OK I can imagine some product could be deliberately leaked - maybe to Cisco staff lol.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon