Reply to post: Re: Facebook is a reflection of society...

Least realistic New Year’s resolution ever: Fix Facebook in 365 days

mrdalliard
Big Brother

Re: Facebook is a reflection of society...

>>If you really want to fix Facebook... you first need to fix society...

+1 For this one. I can only give an anecdotal story in relation to this one.

Back in December, I'd decided that I'd had enough of the general narcissism, attention-seeking garbage that is FB's news feed and decided (without warning anyone else), that it was time to delete my account, so I filled in the deletion request so that the account was removed in time for the New Year.

(Here's a thing - why do you have to wait two weeks for the damn thing to be removed?)

As has previously been mentioned, Facebook is like digital crack. It's hard enough to remove the account in the first place, but various tricks are employed to stop the deletion - namely if you've ever had anything else linked to the account. Ping! It springs back into action - and you didn't even have to log in to the site to reactivate it.

So, finally, by the 2nd of January my account has gone, thank {$Deity}, but I'm now viewed by a lot of my friends/family as "the weird one" because I choose not to regularly spunk up my details of what I had for dinner last night for all to see.

When did society get so broken that we willingly invited surveillance into our lives and that not wanting it was "weird"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon