Reply to post: Re: 10 years to migrate 16000 PCs and they're going to go back to Windows ?

And we return to Munich's migration back to Windows – it's going to cost what now?! €100m!

bombastic bob Silver badge
FAIL

Re: 10 years to migrate 16000 PCs and they're going to go back to Windows ?

"How come the solution is to move to Windows 10 and Ms Office?"

Because it works, the required applications exist for it and has a lower TCO. And the users prefer it.

it's getting "shilly" in here. BRRrrrr...

Sorry. Your argument fails right away.

a) I've NEVER had a problem importing a Micro-shaft "Weird" document in Libre or Open office.

b) if the formatting changes, it's because of the use of non-standard fonts, etc.

c) Why not DUMP MICRO-SHAFT ORIFICE and adopt LIBRE as "the standard" instead? [last I checked, Libre has binaries that run on winders for those who *must* use a Micro-shaft OS

And your attempt to use the same-old-FUD from the early noughties about "total cost of ownership" being LESS with per-seat licensing? *BORING*

I think a REAL USE CASE from that period of time might shed some REAL light on TCO...

https://www.cnet.com/news/rockin-on-without-microsoft/

it was FUD then, and it's still FUD now, that TCO is allegedly LOWER with Micro-shaft "pay to play" licensing. The Ernie Ball story says exactly the opposite: he saved enough money IN THE FIRST YEAR to cover the cost of the 'fines' that resulted from the "surprise!" audit.

In any case, I would MUCH rather see governments consider open source FIRST, for the explicit purpose of saving money for the taxpayers. Germany could ALSO make the case that open source allows them to NOT rely on some other country for their I.T. support, thereby promoting local (or at least German) businesses...

And think of this: if governments DEMAND open source, for the purpose of security audits, transparency, and the promotion of PUBLIC projects, that would do FOSS a LOT of good.

icon, because, FUD that I respond to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon