Reply to post: Just some facts about Linux adoption.....

And we return to Munich's migration back to Windows – it's going to cost what now?! €100m!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Just some facts about Linux adoption.....

So these personal facts about Linux adoption may not scale to enterprise size....

UPSIDE

- User of RedHat v5.2 (1999) all the way to Fedora 26 (2018)

- Used RH and Fedora for desktops, laptops and servers 1999-2018

- Used StarOffice, OpenOffice and LibreOffice for RTF, DOC, PPT, XLS, DOCX, XLSX, ODT, ODS

mostly for relatively simple instances -- with no problems at all

- Used Netscape, Firefox and Chrome (currently) with very few problems

- Never had any problems with printers or scanners (HP, currently Canon)

- Developed windowed applications using Python/tkinter and applications using Python/Glade

-- all with no problems at all (prefer Glade...simpler coding)

- All of the above has been used on native machines and also via ssh/X remotely -- all with no

problems at all

DOWNSIDE

- Testing. Not all Fedora releases have worked well on my multiple machines. Currently F26

is solid on a variety of AMD and Intel machines. (But only with kernels 4.9, 4.10, 4.11)

- Support. SInce Fedora is "free", I'm mostly on my own when it comes to debugging any

problems which come up.

- WiFi. Broadcom has been a problem. Qualcom and Intel have always been trouble-free.

I'm not a professional admin or a professional programmer. As you can see from the above, Linux has been a perfectly acceptable environment for the people who use the machines and the network....at very low acquisition cost (both for the OS and for the applications in use).

I simply don't believe that a professional, enterprise-sized organisation CAN'T adopt Linux successfully. Of course, such an organisation may not WANT TO adopt Linux....likely for reasons other than functionality.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon