Reply to post:

Storage startup WekaIO punts latency-slashing parallel file system tech

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Very interesting if it works though some details in the article make me flinch:

Software efficiency measured as 5 percent of what? Without telling us how big the server is, the 5% figure is meaningless (80 core & half a TB RAM?).

What do you mean it only uses the resources allocated to it? I'd expect to see a graph that shows the latency/throughput that MatrixFS can provide based on the amount of resources dedicated to it.

Performance of find and ls?! I don't see anyone using linux command line utilities like find or ls as a part of any kind of high performance real world application. If you are using them, then 2 hours vs 6 hours would both be unacceptable and they would have rewritten their application.

Some of the above don't take away from what they have built, it just doesn't help for credibility. I want to see scale and numbers for real world applications (with customer names) and a reference architecture in standard HCI systems (e.g. Nutanix) with a resources vs performance graph. I personally doubt they will ever replace the appliances out there but when you pair it with HCI, I can see their value for certain applications.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon