Reply to post: I think the average person DOES care..

Surveillance Capitalism thinks it won, but there's still time to unplug it

sloshnmosh

I think the average person DOES care..

I believe it has a lot to do with how much technical knowledge a person has (or wants to have).

I see lots of people take steps to protect their data at least in some small degree but they clearly have no understanding of how things work and end up giving away the keys to the kingdom.

Many people have "antivirus" apps on their Android devices because they have at least some concern that their data may get stolen by some "virus" but most of these apps are stealing far more data from their devices than any "real" malware ever could.

Some of these dodgy "antivirus" developers go so far as to "advertise" their apps by tricking users into installing their warez through the use of fake virus warnings capitalizing on the users inherent fears as well as their lack of technical knowledge.

I was looking at the web browser 'Brave" the other day, it claims to be pro-privacy and in the browser extension request webpage of Brave users were requesting all kinds of dodgy VPN add-on's and other extensions that would defeat the whole purpose of using Brave.

I believe that most people care about their privacy/security but "convenience" wins out or users just get overwhelmed.

It is kind of a pain trying to limit your data footprint, and the more knowledge you have the more you have to do.

I run a custom OS on my phone with only a few FOSS apps that I personally inspected, script blockers on my web browsers, block a multitude of social media sites on my router and HOSTS file, run BleachBit several times a day, only allow programs through the firewall when needed etc etc...I really feel I was better off 5 years ago when I was blissfully unaware of the things I now know.

And to hear members of congress or politicians speak..they're either more clueless than everyone or they're all in on it.

It's all so tiresome.

(sorry for the rant)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon