Reply to post: Re: Facebook et al

Autsch! Germany slaps Facebook in its abusive little face for 'limitlessly amassing data'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook et al

The problem is that Facebook could likely have some sort of shadow profile for you even if you did not explicitly create one

Could? I think you'll find out they did that long ago. And Google too. I don't use social media in any conventional manner, don't have a FB account, nor any other socialmeeja service. But I routinely see my wife's FB pictures getting drawn to my attention by Google (I do have a Google account, but don't use Google+ or similar), and over her shoulder I see FB automatically tagging my grizzled features in pictures she posts. So not only are they sharing data, but both are hoovering up all the third party data they can and linking that to names. Just because you and I haven't knowingly volunteered our data, I'll wager that both companies have vast troves of snatched data on both of us. If you can be arsed you could try a subject data access request, and see if they fess up anything?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon