Reply to post: Re: Is Russia just a threat because Hillary lost the election ?

Russia could chop vital undersea web cables, warns Brit military chief

Holtsmark Silver badge

Re: Is Russia just a threat because Hillary lost the election ?

Dear Naive,

please do not turn the Register into the commenzs section for a BBB article about Brexit.

The amount of anti-German xenophobia displayed in those comments is horrifying.

Mrs. Merkel took steps that she believed to be the right ones at a time when the EU borders were buckling, very much as a consequence of failed anglo-american policies in the middle east (iraq war etc...).

This did not leadt to optimal results, but the alternative might have been much worse.

(I am personally critical to unrestricted immigration, but a number of the stories I hear from these people are truly heartbreaking).

Germany now faces the big and difficult task trying to integrate these people. In this, it should not be forgotten that Germany has had to integrate huge numbers before; Peopleb(many of them Jewish) fleeing from the Soviet Union between the wars (which led to sentiments reflected in the UK today), 12 Million Germans fleeing from the Russians in 1945 to 1950 and 1.4 million "German"-Russians after the fall of the wall. Germany also had to refurbish and re-integrate all of East Germany in the same period. Hearing the british complain about having too many Polish plumbers and Romanian field workers is ridiculous.

While WW2 is very much celebrated in the US and the UK, Germany has all thoughts about empire building very much bombed out of them. To the Germans, the British were seen as a sane partner nation, that could serve as a counterweight to the French. How this is currently misrepresented in the UK is quite sad.

And myself; I am neither German nor British, and I live the productive life of an immigrant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon