Reply to post:

Voda customers given green light by Ofcom to ditch contracts

JimboSmith Silver badge

"We were the first to abolish EU roaming with Roam Free which covers more destinations than anyone else. We offer 4G roaming in 125 destinations, including all Roam Further countries, and unlike others we do not throttle customers’ data or charge them more to make in-country calls.

They may well have been first to abolish roaming charges within the EU. However they only did that because the EU said they had to. Three with their feel at home were offering a service to more diverse places that allowed you to use your minutes text and data abroad for no extra cost. I looked into the Vodafone offering earlier in the year when I was reviewing which network was best for me. Chap in the Vodafone shop asked me a few questions and I asked a few back. One of mine (the last in fact) was about roaming and he produced a list of countries that you could roam free. I said those are mostly the ones covered by the EU directive aren't they?

"Oh well yes they are but then for a small fixed daily fee you can 'roam further' and use your minutes/texts etc. in more countries."

"So how much would say a 14 day excursion to the USA cost me above and beyond my allowance?"

<bit of maths later>

"£70 sir"

"How much!" which I said so loudly people had turned to look at me.

"It works out at only £5 a day sir"

"Oh wait are you PAYG or Pay Monthly?

"PAYG"

"Oh then it's <checks computer> 60p to make and 36p per minute to receive calls."

"That's just as bad."

"I think we're quite competetive sir"

"Well on Three it wouldn't cost me anything more."

"I'm not sure about other what firms charge sir"

"Then how can you say you're competitive?"

I then left the showroom totally bemused. Needless to say I didn't switch to Vodafone (or anyone else). Three aren't perfect by any means and if you're not in a feel at home destination it's wickedly expensive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon