Reply to post:

OVH goes TITSUP again while trying to fix its last TITSUP

Lysenko

While not disagreeing with the general idea behind your post, not all systems are equal and in some cases (not necessarily OVH's, I do not know) working on live systems is unavoidable.

I completely agree. I "beta test in production" regularly and, as expected, I regularly take down said systems because of bugs and mistakes. The difference is, those are non-critical systems and I send out messages several days beforehand saying that the system is scheduled for maintenance and should be expected to be offline both during the maintenance period and immediately afterwards because work might overrun (translation: we might cock it up or encounter an unforeseen problem).

I knew of a heart-lung machine repairman, whose job was to fix the thing when it broke in-theatre. Apparently the guy was an ace with a soldering iron.

High-pressure job. I bet he wasn't handing out 99.98% patient survival guarantees though. There's nothing inherently wrong in working with no safety net, it's just unprofessional to act all surprised when you eventually come crashing down and break something. If they advertised: "OVH is a Tier I service provider with DR provisions as limited as our fees." then I would have no problem with that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon