Reply to post: Re: Easy there

Euro Patent Office commanded to reinstate 'Nazi judge' it attacked

Lars Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Easy there

@ Phil O'Sophical

"Did you read the whole article?". Well that is my point, the header.

And the header is "Euro Patent Office commanded to reinstate Nazi judge.." when you read just the header and not the article.

So let me explain, if I can, why when you write a header you should contemplate what the header implies without reading the article. (a Nazi judge was not reinstated by ...)

I knew guys who wrote for different IT magazines and they told me about the rules Microsoft demanded they stick to. The main rule was to never write a negative header no matter what. Suppose for instance that say three departments out four was in the red then the header had to be like "Microsoft still increasing ..." while in the article more details was allowed. Associating viruses to Windows was a red line too. You will hardly find a header like "yet new errors found in Windows enabling more viruses,,,".

The reason is that most people scan more headers than read the texts. And this is used for propaganda too. I would claim the "Enemies of the people" regarding the judges in Britain as such a use of a header.

My favourite header from those times, early Linux, is this which went "One million Europeans will lose they jobs if people turn to Linux".

So perhaps I am just stubborn but easy with the headers, they should not give the wrong impression when just scanned.

And please Kieren, no hard feelings. And the appropriate icon this time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon