Reply to post: Re: Oh fuck...

Report: Women make up just 17% of IT workforce, paid 15% less than men

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh fuck...

@Rich 11 or perhaps you are just unthinkingly repeating the crap the self serving politicians have been shoveling, If you think that everyone is the same then you are the one with problems seeing reality.

FACT: everyone is different, some might share common traits and thinking but still everyone is different. If you do not believe this is a fact then find a single one of your duplicates. It is easy enough to prove that you are not the same even if you select your identical twin.

FACT: MEN are not WOMEN and even if they have surgery and hormones they cannot become the other, oh they might be able to pretend and get away with it because of the variety in each sex but on the inside they would remain mostly the same and would eventually be noticed as "not right", again I speak from actual experience rather than wishful thinking.

Now you seem very angry that women are not given everything that men are but by the same token men are not given everything that women are. I am not saying that women get only what they deserve I am saying that to get a job in this field you need to get an education and then apply and then maintain your skills to keep it. The last two in my experience are the reason that there are fewer 50% women in this field, it might be down to perception or interest but the last two are no more biased against women than they are against men. If you can do the job and you don't get the rewards then you move to an employer who recognizes your abilities, you don't complain it is everyone else's fault unless you don't want to work in the field anymore.

In my experience from the women I have actually asked, the majority said that this field is seen as being full of the geeky social inept and thus unattractive when other options exist i.e. they didn't want to work with the people in the field. I have actually worked with quite a few women and the competent ones were just as respected for their skills ans their male colleges, yes there were some who had a problem with gender but the majority would give a woman more leeway than a man in the same job.

So who are these people who complain of women not getting a fair deal in our work place? I would say there are three types politicians garnering support, their unquestioning sheep and the people who fail to get prestige because they wouldn't do the work required by the job.

My experience of the later, the ones who are unwilling to do the work required to gain the respect of their peers and instead just complain that the world is against them or have learned that if they whinge about it enough then everyone else will just give in and move them sideways rather than sacking them as they would they were male.

Personally when you are an incompetent liability who makes everyone else's job harder and should never have got the job in the first place then I would say you should expect some hostility from your peers irrespective of sex. If you then complain of bias then not only are you a traitor to your group and dragging every other member down with you but also a liar.

I would agree that there is some sexual bias in this field but my experience would say the majority is not against women but rather for. We will have to wait for the AI to take over this field before you hear politicians complaining of bias against men in computing but we already have plenty playing the female exclusion card.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon