Reply to post: Anyway who cares what BCS say

Report: Women make up just 17% of IT workforce, paid 15% less than men

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Anyway who cares what BCS say

I considered joining BCS back in the '90s but, from memory, since a MCP with 5 years experience would be graded as being in the top third of their ability scale then it was clear that there were not looking for people of my caliber. This was during the brain dump years where the questions and answers to all the MCP tests were published online and simply learning them off by heart would guaranty a top mark. For those that couldn't even remember the right answer when it was written down for them along with the question, there were plenty of sites offering to take the test in your name.

If you are going to have a guild then it needs to be sufficiently discerning so as to make it worth universities gaining compliance. If you do not need a Engineering degree to be recognized then an Engineer in your field is on a par with sanitation Engineers i.e. in job title only.

A club anyone can join that provides no salary increase or improved job prospects is just a money spinner and a forum for this kind of political propaganda.

Enough people here have posted why women do not opt for working in this field and it isn't because the male majority is somehow preventing them from applying or excelling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon