Reply to post: Netflix and Amazon's "4K" content

Want a new HDMI cable? No? Bad luck. You'll need one for HDMI 2.1

Deltics

Netflix and Amazon's "4K" content

So let me get this straight.... to get 4K content down an HDMI cable you need an HDMI 2.0 cable capable of 6Gbps. That's for the picture/sound information. But you need to get those pictures and sounds from somewhere.

If that "somewhere" is a Blu-Ray then the minimum bit-rate for the delivery of that content to the decoder that turns it into picture information is 80Mbps (going up to 108Mbps or 128Mbps). That has to carry picture AND sound (these days, possibly as much as 7 channels of the stuff).

For 4K ("UHD") content Netflix recommend an **internet connection** of 25Mbps. Unlike your BD players, that connection is shared by all your other internet traffic and the actual data delivery from the 'flix servers down that pipe will be somewhat less. I've seen figures as low as 12Mbps and only as high as 18 Mbps for the actual 'flix UHD stream.

Now sure, 4K is 4K is 4K: it's just a measure of the pixel dimensions of the eventual picture frame.

But if you really think that 'flix 4K is the same as 4K off a Blu-Ray or that the quality of streaming service delivery can improve without first some step-change in the delivery of that content from the servers across the miles of public infrastructure managed on a RoI basis by for-profit companies then I have some left-handed screw-drivers here that I think you may be interested in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon