Reply to post: Re: Oh dear

£160m ploughed into 5G is a fair sum. Shame the tech doesn't really exist

Commswonk

Re: Oh dear

@ Mage: There needs to be more fibre / real broadband so that Mobile only has actually mobile users.

I don't think it's that simple. AIUI consumers are using mobile broadband to avoid having to fork out for fixed line services, and that avoidance includes fixed line telephony. The argument seems to be "I need (want?) a fully featured broadband capable mobile phone anyway, so why do I also need a fixed line service?"

I strongly doubt if flood - wiring the UK with FTTP will persuade users to pay for fixed line services as well as mobile ones. An increase in "real broadband" cannot act as a replacement for mobile telephony (inc text messages) however good that broadband is, and people are so wedded to their fondleslabs that persuading them to put them aside is likely to prove a waste of time.

The fact that their broadband usage is perhaps largely trivial doesn't seem to come into it. A fixation with social media and ordering things they don't need probably covers most of the actual use for a large percentage of users.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022