Reply to post: Re: Any recommendations for a solid, inexpensive Wear watch?

You mean Google updated its smartwatch OS and nobody noticed?

ThomH

Re: Any recommendations for a solid, inexpensive Wear watch?

I've had a much better experience with health watches, though only monetarily.

My 'shower-proof' 2014 [Intel/]Basis 1 suffered water ingress in 2016 and hence died. Despite being well out of warranty, I contacted customer support and was given a free replacement. That was nice momentarily, but then all the devices were recalled late last year. Full refunds all round though.

So earlier this year I bought a Garmin. After about nine months the glue that holds the screen on came loose along one edge, the screen slightly protruded and, once again, water got in and killed it. Also out of warranty (because I'm in the USA, so those don't last long), but a free replacement was provided regardless. Which is what is currently on my wrist.

Given that I had also picked up a second-hand Basis 1 for the wife very shortly prior to the recall for a pittance and then received a full original purchase price refund for it, I have now been wearing a sports watch for a bit more than three years and am almost £200 up on the deal. The current one even also does notifications and media controls and other things I don't care about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon