Reply to post: Re: re: I think the advantage is supposed to be ...

Sci-Hub domains inactive following court order

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: re: I think the advantage is supposed to be ...

The difference here is that academics are held hostage, in much the same manner as ransomware, by the very academic journals that obtain them tenure, and later promotion up the academic ladder. I got to get quite familiar with the process on the observing end, while my mother was working on her masters and Ph.D. and close up familiarity while I was on a doctoral track. Having to pay a publication to contigently accept one's paper, which is peer-reviewed by fellow academics for free, and then having to pay to make the paper low-cost or free to other academics, well that sticks in my craw here.

I'm glad for the rise of sites that host papers for free as it allows me to review the works of fellow practitioners, whether we are talking science, engineering, or even the not really sciences social. I'm not the only one who connects two or more papers together, even in widely disparete fields, that puts something extremely new on the table.

It really helps if you've walked in someone else's shoes, which I don't think you have.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon