Reply to post: Re: re: I think the advantage is supposed to be ...

Sci-Hub domains inactive following court order

Lee D Silver badge

Re: re: I think the advantage is supposed to be ...

That's no different to saying that thieves operate a better service than the original manufacturers.

A stolen washing machine will be cheaper. If they nick it when it's brand-new, it'll be just as good. And likely they'll give you a hand taking it off the back of their truck. Plus when you want another one they likely can just get hold of one on minimal notice. And they'll accept cash.

Of course they can do some things "better", depending on your definition of better.

But if someone writes a paper and DOESN'T give it out to the entire world for free, that's their choice. Whoever may have "funded" it.

Just nicking it, and putting it online doesn't mean that it was unreasonable to ask for money for it in the first place. No different to just giving away your cracked copy of GTA V for free... sure, it's "easier" and more convenient and no product key involved etc. but does that mean it's alright? I don't think it does.

The problem is - are the authors of these things up in arms at the terms by which their papers are held? I don't see that. And the companies wouldn't be prosecuting and winning such court orders unless there was a commercial impetus to do so from their clients, some of whom produce that same content.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon