Reply to post:

Facebook notifications to reveal who saw dodgy Russian election ads

tom dial Silver badge

So FB can tell not only which ads were shown on my web browser, but they can tell also which of them I actually looked at? This on a PC with either (one case) no camera or (other case) a piece of post-it note over the camera window? I do not believe that. I also am skeptical about whether they know that I also use AdBlock Plus and some ads are not presented at all, although I have had enough refusals from paywallish sites over ad blockers to suspect they might.

Then there is the fact that I, and probably some others, occasionally look at garbage sites for amusement, or see the "meddling" ads and have our opinions nudged opposite to what the ads appear to be promoting.

I, for one, am tired of endless moral panic promotion by those who presume they know better what I should look at that I do; and that most explicitly includes the legislators arguing that something must be done to prevent political discussion and advocacy that they do not think appropriate for us slow-minded folks in the hinterlands between the forty mile strips along the Pacific and part of the Atlantic coasts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon