Reply to post:

Level 5 driverless cars by 2021 can be done, say Brit industry folk

wolfetone Silver badge

"I'm also sure there is a market for cars that can drive people who are unlicensed or incapable of driving."

And here in lies the elephant in the room when it comes to these driverless cars. It does, obviously, have the potential to bring millions of people back on the road. However, even today, roads are struggling to cope with the number of cars already on there. Plus London and (for some reason) Birmingham really don't want cars coming in to the city centres. They want you to use cattle trucks what pass for buses and trains to get there.

There's also the issue with charging the cars. Sure, plug them in to the grid. Well the grid is under pressure every winter, getting more so really, so how will that cope? Plus where do you park them? There are apartments being built in one part of Birmingham where there will be 200 apartments built but only room for 80 cars. So we can park them outside in the city or suburbs, but then we need charging points all around the place to cope with that. Then, say on a long journey and you need a bit of juice, where do you charge them? Can you imagine, with the increase in cars, the queue at the former-petrol-stations-turned-leccy-stations?

I think, if they do hit the road, then they will be the preserve of taxis and ambulances ferrying patients from home to the hospital for an appointment. I don't think, unfortunately, Joe Public will get them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon