Reply to post: No, thank you

Microsoft touts real-time over-the-network pair programming in Visual Studio, GitHub ships it

ST Silver badge
Mushroom

No, thank you

> too many cooks ruin the pot

We tried this idea at one of my previous employers - pair programming. It was all the craze in the late '90's / early 2000's.

Think of having someone you don't necessarily like breathing over your shoulder while you're trying to think. Because of workspace constraints, he/she is well inside your space. And he/she makes comments. And he/she has suggestions on how to make code that hasn't been written yet better. He/she can read your thoughts ahead of you. He/she knows that you will be wrong 1 minute and 13 seconds from now.

After two weeks of this brilliant an innovative way of getting on each other's nerves to the point where changing careers and becoming a pest exterminator sounds like a viable option, half the programmers threatened to quit. That was the end of this ground-breaking experiment.

If I need to ask someone a question, I send them an email, or I RTFM. Not necessarily in that order. RTFM first is always better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021