Reply to post: Re: Everything's gone. Everything.

The Quantum of Firefox: Why is this one unlike any other Firefox?

bombastic bob Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Everything's gone. Everything.

"If your experience is anything like mine, what it will come up with will be mostly worthless nonsense."

ACK - nobody wants to take on a gargantuan project like that as a fork, and deal with the support nightmare that individuals would have to deal with.

palemoon doesn't build (easily) on FreeBSD, and waterfox is just... ancient.

Mozilla has chased their tail for YEARS. First, they wasted time on a "the METRO" version of FF, then abandoned it. AND, they went off on that "Australis" crap, to be "chrome like". FAIL. I think they even entertained an Android version, but I've never seen an Android running anything else EXCEPT Chrome [it seems to be too heavily tied into other aspects of the Android system].

So now we get THIS. MOZILLA is acting JUST! LIKE! MICRO-SHAFT!!!

on a related note...

I'm considering doing something like 'midori' except *WITHOUT* the 2D FLATSO [I don't recall the OLDER versions being that "chrome like" but the newer ones certainly are...]. Then add support for older plugins, and VOILA! It could become its own entity, FOR THE REST OF US.

If _I_ do it, it'll probably build on Linux and BSD and to hell with native Win32 [use Cygwin or MinGW to build it and gtk2 to render it. HAH!]

And at that point all security fixes would be tied to webkit, which would minimize my involvement.

[anyone ELSE want to "give it a shot" ??? I'm kinda busy these days]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon