Reply to post: Re: bollocks

BT plots to slash pension benefits for 32,000 staff

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: bollocks

I was part of a pension scheme where the employer (an investment firm) guaranteed a minimum 7% p.a. growth over the life of the investment and made non-contributory (on the employee's part) 18% of salary contributions to the pot. They got bought out and the parent company went bust. I'm not likely to get much back out of that one.

Personally I prefer the Australian concept of legally mandated 9.5% of salary goes into your pension pot which is then effectively a defined contribution scheme which can be invested where you want subject to constraints. It does create issues around sloppy and/or inefficient behaviour on behalf of the local investment industry that knows there's a lazy 9.5% of everyone's salary that has to go somewhere each year. There are also issues around self managed schemes becoming day-trading levels of risky. However I find the concept of the legal mandate better than the UK system of some people get a company pension, others do their own thing and there's now real mandate around how much needs to be put away so some do jack shit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon