Reply to post: Re: Baffling

Munich council: To hell with Linux, we're going full Windows in 2020

Kiwi

Re: Baffling

When it would have been easiest for me to switch fully to 'nux, a while back ( I was already dual booting) the Outlook issue was the one that kept me back.

I can't recall trying beyond office 2010, but I've never known anyone to have any issues installing Office under Linux. A double-click of the installer, like in Windows, and moments later it's done. I don't know if 365 or other versions since are the same or not. If you have time and inclination to play and don't wish to risk damaging a Linux installation, put it into a VM and give it a whirl.

I had my Outlook calendar synchronised across devices, beautifully and integrated with my email so that it was always visible.

I don't need/want my calendar always visible, but aside from that - I have it in my tablet and on my computers (Linux only though, I don't let W7 touch the net after MS made the updates unsafe), and also share calendars with a friend. Ok, in one respect Thunderbird kinda sucks where it may not always deal with dismissing or snoozing a reminder, but aside from that works fine. He can put in an appt and a moment later it's on my desktop and my tablet.

Filters along the lines of Put emails from x into the management folder, unless the subject was tea money etc. is beyond TB's filters

Better not tell my system that. It has all sorts of filters on subject, sender, recipient(s) and so on. I use a number of them myself. It's quite flexible and easy to set up in that regard (my only outlook filtering experience was with outlook express, and, well, 'nuff said...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon