Reply to post: As a cyclist, a motorist and someone who can't wait for self driving vehicles to be the norm

80-year-old cyclist killed in prang with Tesla Model S

John Robson Silver badge

As a cyclist, a motorist and someone who can't wait for self driving vehicles to be the norm

First up - condolences to the bereaved family...

This case interests me greatly.

An 80 year old cyclist is particularly vulnerable - both from not carting around a tonne and a half or armour, and from the 80 years they have spent on the earth.

An 80 year old cyclist is also unlikely to have been a novice - most of the octogenerian cyclists I am aware of are life long cyclists continuing to do what they enjoy.

There is a pretty good chance that at least the authorities will get excellent data on the incident.

Assuming the normal case of motorist at fault (75% according to the police) then if any of the 'auto braking' systems have been actively disabled then I can't think that anything less than a manslaughter charge is appropriate.

If the cyclist has had to take evasive action for a road defect then I would hope that the courts would view that as a normal course to take.

It is also possible that the cyclist had a heart attack in the couple of seconds preceding the incident...

We just don't know - but I am interested in the investigation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon