Reply to post: Re: What 400 apps?

Munich council: To hell with Linux, we're going full Windows in 2020

WolfFan Silver badge

Re: What 400 apps?

I use and recommend VeriCAD, GIMP works for nearly everything anybody could ask for in an image manipulation program, and I haven't had an issue with a printer/scanner/fax hydra on Linux in, what, a decade and a half?

VeriCAD vs AutoCAD: see, for example, http://cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-27/AutoCAD-vs-VariCAD It rather depends on what you need. For what I need, no, it doesn't work.

The GIMP vs PhotoShop: Nope, the GIMP doesn't do what I need. I have tried it, repeatedly. I'd love to use it. My current version of PhotoShop is CS 5.5 and I'm never, ever, going to Creative Cloud. Ever. Sooner rather than later CS 5.5 is going to go TITSUP; it demands the use of a truly ancient version of Java, no longer officially supported. Every time I install an upgrade to either Windows or Mac I must go and reinstall the damn Java thing, or PhotoShop, Illustrator, and other parts of CS 5.5 which aren't important, don't work any more, as in they don't bloody start up. If the GIMP did what I needed, I would long ago have moved. As it is, I'm going to go with Affinity Photo, probably by the end of the year. That seems to do all of what I need.

YMMV.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon