Reply to post: iOS App Store still leads Play Store in revenue

Android at 10: How Google won the smartphone wars

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

iOS App Store still leads Play Store in revenue

Where "Android" passed iOS in app store revenue recently that was only if you take ALL app stores into account. i.e. it is all those non-Google app stores in places like China and areas of the third world where the vast majority of Androids have all the Googly bits removed that push Android over the top.

If you just care about OS, then you can say Android has more revenue than iOS and has 85% or whatever market share, but I'm sure Google doesn't see it that way. They aren't getting a cut of that revenue, they aren't getting any ad revenue from those users. Those non-Google Androids might as well be Blackberry or Windows Phone as far as Google is concerned, because Google makes nothing from them - basically a third smartphone OS that's growing much faster than both iOS and Google Android combined.

I've never seen any figures that break out "Google Android" from "third party Android" but there's a big story out there waiting for someone who does the legwork to find that out. Probably Google knows, but they aren't going to say anything because their stock would take a hit once Wall Street learns that they can't assume all seven billion people in the world won't eventually be locked into Google. They've got about as many as they're going to get, all the remaining growth is low end Android with Google cut out of the picture.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon