Reply to post: Re: "When it's political, technology cannot do anything." @Aitor 1

Munich council: To hell with Linux, we're going full Windows in 2020

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "When it's political, technology cannot do anything." @Aitor 1

'800 or so total programs '

"I dont think they are living in 2017."

I have only worked with a single town (<20k people or so), and with nowhere near as many programs, but the number was still a bit stupendous. The town merged to a bigger one and I wasn't needed - a relief! Still, the bigger town inherited all the software in the smaller one and phasing them out with their own will still take years.

City planning may sound like a simple division (and it is in small towns), but when you're dividing it into zoning, transport, land-use, water/power/severage infrastructure etc, and most of those need multiple software.

Education has different software on different departments because Kindergarten managing software may have needs that the University mgmt software doesn't cover and vice versa.

Department of buildings may need multiple software for different access control systems in different buildings, there may be dozens different HVAC systems in the city buildings. AutoCAD and a 3rd party HVAC addon (for example) would be hard to replace.

Those are just a small subset of departments in a city as big as Munich. HTML5 based systems could cover a lot of those special programs, but I don't think it is feasible yet for e.g. CAD usage.

Then you'll need to factor in external connections to things like census. Monthly reports on births and deaths, all sort of different statistics for the state/government and such. Some of them may have external interfaces but not all will.

I'm sure there's extra fluff in those 800 programs but it's not like everything could be foisted into cloud and users just need an OLPC for everything...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon