Reply to post: Re: @ Voland's right hand

Munich council: To hell with Linux, we're going full Windows in 2020

Mage Silver badge

Re: @ Voland's right hand

Access is GARBAGE compared to MS SQL. Absolutely nothing should have used it since MS released a free SQL runtime service for windows, I think about 2000. MSDE was far superior to Acsess "Jet Engine". MSDE support ended in 2008, but MS I think still offers a free engine. If you need multiuser, Access is garbage and you need a full SQL. Porting to Maria DB or MySQL isn't hard.

There is no good reason to migrate BACK to MS, there may be reasons to stay with windows for now (existing Windows only applications). Some legacy business applications don't work on 64 bit windows (do work on 32 bit). The 32bit Windows 10 is only on some "toy" atom tablets (max 2G RAM by cpu design). Win10 seems worse than Vista and Win ME. The GUI is worse than Windows 3.1, reducing productivity by up to 20% (NNG study).

Everyone should have migration plans away from Access over 15 years ago and at least have secret feasibility studies to move away from Windows Server, Exchange, Sharepoint and Desktop.

Anyone adopting MS cloud is ignoring real future costs, backup, disaster recovery, security, privacy, reliability, legal aspects and more, such a lock in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon