Reply to post: Re: adblock plus and /56/

Firefox 57: Good news? It's nippy. Bad news? It'll also trash your add-ons

Kiwi
Facepalm

Re: adblock plus and /56/

If you can't handle checkboxes, how can you install addons? Besides which, how many "newbies" are aware of those privacy concerns? Would they be any more likely to select the option in Adblock Plus (it's not enabled by default either).

ABP set the standard for giving you a start page with 3 simple and obvious sliders that alter this. Not quite turned on by default but there. Easy to see, right from the moment ABP is installed.

The majority of addons don't have any configuration options, so it's not obvious that others will. Right clicking on UB's icon doesn't give any options (vs No Script which does) so the most obvious place to go looking for preferences (in many situations) isn't there. Also UB doesn't have anything in the preferences page to look at.

From your post I went hunting. There's a black icon on a black panel with a black light tucked away (IRL very light grey on white background - same diff) that I only actually detected by chance hovering over the blank space above the "requests blocked" line. As I moved my mouse past another icon it changed colour making it visible, ie the settings icon is only visible if you actually know to hover over it.

So, given UB has a fucked up UI and doesn't have settings/preferences in obvious places, how the hell is someone supposed to know there's actually more to it?

At least with ABP there's the obvious "manage filter preferences" in an obvious location.

If there is no intuitive way into changing settings (eg a visible icon) then people won't see how to fo it. ABP has "manage preferences" visible. Ublock does not.

"Handling checkboxes" is only a matter when you can actually see them. Simples, no?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon