Reply to post: Re: Accelerometer data

Boffins: We can identify you by your typing, and we're gonna sell the tech to biz, govt – yay!

Fluffy Cactus

Re: Accelerometer data

Several thoughts are streaming through my mind like rivulets

of cascading insights leading to a plethora of splendiferous

perceptions. . .

1) I always could tell whether it was Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, or Wagner who

were hitting the keys just so, same with KISS and Norah Jones, the Sex Beatles,

no, wait, the Beatles and the Sex Thistles, no Pistols, .... so I guess we'll all be famous.

Which is as useful as everyone winning the lottery at the same time.

2) W h a t i f I t y p e d r e a l l y s l o w l y

aaaa nnnnnn ddd m aa d e ma n n y m ee s t a k e ss

w o u l d "they" s t i l l f i g u u rr e o u t i t ' s m e?

What if I were rich and used a different secretary from the typist pool

each time? Oh wait, that was in the 50's. Forget it. End of story.

I got a "non-smart phone", I use "speed-dialing", and I don't text. Does that help?

3) I read somewhere that credit card companies can often determine who

is using a credit card by analyzing a mere three purchases. Pattern recognition, baby!

One particular credit card company needed only one (1) purchase to figure out my card info had been

snatched, because the hapless thief made a purchase at a "sports equipment store".

(Since "sport" costs money, is exhausting, can hurt you, can even kill you, such a

purchase was "so totally obviously not me", that this ID thief was busted on the first try. Ha!)

4) Isn't anything you do online already tied to some sort of global user id, in addition

to all sorts of IP address stuff? And aren't we already identified by the same old and tired

web-sites we visit each time? Plus, if I go online and check my e-mail, then MI6, the

NSA, Putin, Jong-Il, along with Google-Face-Apple-MSFT will know that it's me.

If they are interested in me. Which I bet they are not, because I know nothing, and

I got nothing.

5) I don't understand how VPN works, because if something is not encrypted from beginning to

end with a password that ONLY I and the FINAL RECIPIENT know, how can it be possibly safe?

Can anyone explain that to me?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon