Reply to post: Pattern matching ... keyword matching ...

How we fooled Google's AI into thinking a 3D-printed turtle was a gun: MIT bods talk to El Reg

JimmyPage Silver badge
FAIL

Pattern matching ... keyword matching ...

A *awful* lot of what is laughing called "AI" at the moment is no such thing. It's keyword matching on steroids. Or, as evinced in this instance, pattern matching (on steroids).

It was pretty whizzy when you only had a few million targets, and fairly simple selection criteria. But as we are seeing, scale things up, and add in more complex (i.e. real-world) criteria, and you get distinctly unintelligent results.

The most impressive display of machine learning I have seen was in IBMs Hursley labs, where a neural network was run over a video of a scene in a park. It managed to spot when a skateboarder (which it highlighted in red as "human using wheels", jumped off and walked - which it then highlighted in blue (as "human on foot"). However even it still struggled to spot "human not moving", so missed the people sitting around the fountain unless they moved. Not sure if that was a good economy of processing, or a mistake.

Human/mammalian cognition is a much more distributed and subtle process. I suspect it's working in a very intermeshed manner simultaneously looking at shape, colour, symmetry in the first instance, and creating a matrix (or matrices) of probabilities which is then being compared to learned objects and how they would be expected to behave if they are what the guess is.

If we're going to get anywhere near, I would expect to see a wall of smartphones looking at the scene, with each one doing a single specific job, but (and this is the bit we *can't* do yet) communicating in real time to refine it's little bit of the universe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon