Reply to post: Re: I'm wondering on how efficient this all is

'Lambda and serverless is one of the worst forms of proprietary lock-in we've ever seen in the history of humanity'

Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: I'm wondering on how efficient this all is

I think the point here is about the $million cloud customers. They're the ones paying the big bucks that make the cloud seem to be a viable platform for everyone.

Push a button and it drives itself ? Sure, once a hundred IT techs have slaved away at building all the conditions and checks and verifications that allow that button to exist. Big Corp has access to the manpower and the knowledge, small businesses do not. The Cloud can work for small businesses, but it is made for Big Corp.

That is why I have trouble with the sentence : "the open-source community has to provide alternatives". With all the faith I have in the coding abilities of Open Source volunteers, they are working from home and I doubt they have access on a personal level to the amount of hardware required to test an open source solution to AWS. And even if code could feasibly be written, the Cloud is hardware and software both, and Open Source doesn't have the hardware.

I don't see that happening. Not without major investment by Red Hat or something similar in any case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon