Reply to post: This is nothing less than a bill of attainder!

'Hey, Homeland Security. Don't you dare demand Twitter, Facebook passwords at the border'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

This is nothing less than a bill of attainder!

"A Bill of Attainder is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them, often without a trial."

"The United States Constitution forbids legislative bills of attainder: in federal law under Article I, Section 9, and in state law under Article I, Section 10. The fact that they were banned even under state law reflects the importance that the framers attached to this issue.

"Within the U.S. Constitution, the clauses forbidding attainder laws serve two purposes. First, they reinforced the separation of powers, by forbidding the legislature to perform judicial or executive functions—since the outcome of any such acts of legislature would of necessity take the form of a bill of attainder. Second, they embody the concept of due process, which was partially reinforced by the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution. The text of the Constitution, Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 is "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed"." -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon