Reply to post: Re: Whois should be destroyed and kept destroyed. Living open is not always a good thing.

Whois? No, Whowas: Incoming Euro privacy rules torpedo domain registration system

Commswonk

Re: Whois should be destroyed and kept destroyed. Living open is not always a good thing.

The WHOIS listing had all her information. Name, address, phone.

My starting point is that IANAL, which may explain my bafflement. If data currently available using "whois" will be outlawed by GDPR, how does this square with the data that is available from Companies House being, er, available? I noticed that someone earlier in this thread mentioned C/H but without making the obvious comparison. (If they did and I missed it then... mea culpa.)

On the face of it if "whois" data is to be banned, how can Companies House data escape the same ban? The only answer that I can see is that if you want to register a company (and/or be a director thereof) then that information being publicly available must be a specific legal requirement.

It is difficult to see why the same should not apply to domain registrations, although I have every sympathy with the young lady mentioned above.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon