Reply to post: Re: Perhaps developers should work offline

Malware hidden in vid app is so nasty, victims should wipe their Macs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps developers should work offline

@d3vy "Are you that guy that I had an argument with last year who said that logging in applications was unnecessary and anyone who did it was stupid?" if you are referring to me then no you were talking to someone else or possibly yourself.

If I was to use the word "stupid" in a post then I would be saying "against your own best interests", as opposed to bombastic ignorance.

"asks for an extra check box on a web form", this would strongly suggest that someone did not understand the client's requirements. My "new product" point was based upon the premise that either the product requirements have changed or been misunderstood, the "just add a checkbox" clearly suggest to me failure in comprehension.

If the client's requirements are misunderstood then it is likely that there are more confusion induced errors elsewhere and a full review is needed, this especially so if you are dealing with someone else's code. Simply adding another checkbox or similar each time the client complains that you "didn't get it" is not going to inspire confidence that you are writing what the client wants rather than some other solution. If you want an analogy then your way is like a taxi driver stopping at every house on the required street and asking is this it, when they gave your the full address before they got in the car. It is possible that this is exactly what the client wants but you should be making them aware of the implications of this kind of thinking rather than saying "yeah, I can sling an extra checkbox in", after all you are supposed to be the expert not the client and once you alter the code then it becomes your responsibility even if you didn't write to original.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon