Reply to post: Re: Stop it!

Drones thrown a bone: Americans can ask nicely to go where FAA says they can't roam

imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Stop it!

@Stu4, like that octocopter that nearly took out a skier a while back? Or the numerous other incidents involving "professional pilots" using "professional equipment"?

I'm a pilot, I know the rules and regulations I have to follow, one of them avoiding getting myself into any situation where I can not avoid potentially hitting people if something goes wrong. Like flying low over built up areas.

For some systems on multirotor aircraft there is NO redundancy, even on the so called professional level units the control unit is just a single unit. Motor-controllers are starting to get integrated into a single package. There's only a single battery aboard, using a single battery protection circuit that can cut battery output if it thinks the battery might get damaged. Yes, an octocopter can still fly with one motor out, possibly with 2 out, depending which. But what kind of failure is going to lead to only a single drive unit failing in flight? Only a very small sub-set of them. To get a shot of a group of people, most of the time a simple large pole does the job just fine. If you really need more flexibility or height, there is still no need to fly a drone directly OVER people.

Keep distance and maintain margins for errors from yourself, your hardware or other people. You know, like you get drilled into you when you start learning to safely operate an aircraft.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon