Reply to post: History

nbn™'s problems were known – in 2008, a year before its birth

Paul 129
Holmes

History

NBN was setup, as Telstra refused to cooperate with a fibre to the node rollout.

The Tasmanian government had played with fibre comms via overhead wires on power poles. Some suggestions and back of the napkin plans via a certain senator, known for the following.

"The regulation of telecommunications powers in Australia is exclusively federal. That means I am in charge of spectrum auctions, and if I say to everyone in this room 'if you want to bid in our spectrum auction you’d better wear red underpants on your head', I’ve got some news for you. You’ll be wearing them on your head. I have unfettered legal power."

Telstra has refused, and undermined the process at every opportunity, and as a result was paid handsomely.

Nationalisation of cable based communications services was always going to be ugly.

By 2020 the NBN will be the new Telstra. Telstra's play of course, is to push everything to wireless and to damage the NBN any way possible. Is there any wonder, that they have oversubscribed their customer base? Or gouging, ummm prioritising 4G, for any backhauls they have control over.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon