Reply to post:

Do fear the Reaper: Huge army of webcams, routers raised from 'one million' hacked orgs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The reason I love tech so much and why I utterly mistrust it so much is because all the GCSE and A-level subjects were tech subjects, and avid sci-fi reader and film watcher to boot. I've spent 25 years working an IT career and all that has taught me one thing, never, ever trust people with technology!

It's all the non-techie and people who simply fell into tech careers "because Uncle Joe said there was good money in computers" are the idiots who simply fill their homes with a ton of linked and connected gadgets and then moan when they all start getting hacked, fail to live up to their hype or simply plain don't work. I'm happy to come home to a house that has gadgets but each gadget keeps itself to itself, apart from the obvious laptops, desktops and consoles, the rest of my gadgets are firmly tiny islands of tech. I do not wish to have Amazon or Google listening to my every move, or at best, being on hand when I'm too damned lazy to walk 6 feet to look at the clock to find out what time it is. I do not wish to have my kids looked after by baby monitors that have to be linked to Toys'R'Us, Sports Direst or Carpet Warehouse! I don't need my kettle or fridge talking back to Amazon, TESCO or Boots, so they can all tell me I'm eating too much sugar, salt or fat, I know I'm a bit unhealthy but my guilt keeps me in check not some algorithm on a server in a warehouse in Ireland, thanks very much.

Tech education and sci-fi have taught me to no unthinkingly pray at the alter of tech. I am not a number, I am a free person(*).

( Yes I know, I might be an old git but I'm still a bit PC and respect sex, gender, race and religion! )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon