Reply to post: Re: Wow

Malware hidden in vid app is so nasty, victims should wipe their Macs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow

@ Sandtitz

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. 'And here, obviously, they are.

Anyway, I wasn't sure about UEFI, as I've only ever updated UEFI for the sake of updating it, never on cause of an attack. I would venture then that the UEFI bios of these Macs are 'OK'. I'd still be looking to toss the HDDs though.

On the big iMac that is a complicated process where one has to unstick the glass screen beforehand .. there are videos on YouTube though on how to prepare for and perform the removal and reattachment of the iMac glass screen. Doing so on one's own would void the warranty, so perhaps an Apple Store could give advice.

Of course, going that far is a business decision. If the machine is used for casual email and web surfing, the impetus would be less. If it houses one's own business, especially one "hackers" would be interested in, then it would be worth looking into taking the step to replace the harddrive. If you don't believe me, Bing the term harddrive firmware infected.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon